The Harvard Department of Stem Cell and Regenerative Biology (HSCRB) is the first and only cross-school academic department in both the Harvard Faculty of Arts and Sciences and Harvard Medical School. As a result, the educational mission spans undergraduate, graduate, and medical communities on both the Cambridge and Longwood campuses, as well as the Harvard-affiliated hospitals. Pedagogically, the curriculum emphasis hands-on laboratory experience and inquiry-based learning.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Works as a preceptor for undergraduate courses in HSCRB, with responsibility for SCRB 10 (Human Developmental and Regenerative Biology) and two advanced laboratory courses (SCRB 15 – CRISPR Cas9: Precision Genetics and Gene Therapy; SCRB 50 – a new molecular biology lab course to launch spring 2020). Reports to the Associate Director of Education in HSCRB, in close collaboration with the faculty instructors of the courses. This position is for one year, with reappointment possible on a yearly basis for up to eight years (within the eligibility guidelines of the FAS), contingent on performance, curricular need, position availability, and divisional dean authorization.
Course responsibilities include:
• Works with faculty to prepare, where applicable, lecture materials, teaching resources, assignments, and examination questions. Designs and supervises discussion sections. Prepares and holds review lectures. Supervises in-class examinations and administrative recordkeeping.
• Helps to develop and oversee the laboratory components. This includes ordering reagents, assisting with laboratory setup and animal husbandry where appropriate, and overseeing regulatory compliance. Acts as primary liaison between instructional staff and laboratory support group.
Additional duties include:
• Hires, trains, and supervises teaching fellows; runs weekly teaching fellow meetings.
• Supervises course website content.
• Holds office hours for student questions and faculty consultation.
• Other duties as necessary.
Ph.D. in developmental biology or a related field awarded or expected, with experience teaching undergraduate or graduate students in science.
Read more information about the position and apply here: https://academicpositions.harvard.edu/postings/8911